MPCNC – finished dust shoe system

Inspired by one of my readers I had a look  at the dust shoe for the Kress again. I redesigned it completely and got rid of the additional tubes and clamps. I thought that it would be a good idea to have a highly flexible part between vaccum and CNC. If I had ordered the 20mm silicon tubes it may have worked as well but reducing parts is allways priority.

So in the end we got a pretty classic dust shoe here. It doesn´t have a brush at the bottom as it seems to work pretty good at the moment and I really like to see the endmill. However I included three holes at the bottom for a later brush design.

It works pretty good with lighter materials but GFK, aluminum or similar are not fully sucked up.

It has been printed in 0,3mm draft quality for testing purposes.

It has been released on thingiverse here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2119491

 

MPCNC – New KRESS FME800q tool-holder with dust shoe assembly

First render of the new tool holder with dust shoe, connected at the bottom. The goal was to stiffen the spindle for aluminum milling and the transition to a more comfortable suction system as I don´t like standing next to it for an hour.

The clamp itself has already been printed and the vaccuum attachment is on its way. I will see how this turns out and if I need some kind of brush to bridge the gap to the workpiece or if the pure airflow is strong enough to keep the chips and dust under control. The spindle is closer to the gantry and sits firmly clamped by two M4 screws with washers and nylocks.

Sorry for the bad print quality, it is printed in PETG and I didn´t dialed in the parameters carefully as this is a plain mechanical part with no optical ambitions 😛

Those are my preparations for the nex aluminum milling test runs and the upcoming bigger project that might cause lots of dust.

Building a MPCNC part 3- cutting

In order to find a suitable endmill I had to understand the principles involved first. That led me to feeds and speeds. The difficult part was to determine the limits of my cnc. I already had a look on that topic when I chose my Spindle. It has a minimum RPM of 10000 and a maimum of 29000 RPM so I decided to go for a 2 flute endmill with a diameter of 3 mm from cnc-plus.de. More on the calculation later..

After testing the gcode and finding out if the steps/mm of the steppers are dialed in correctly I used a simple ruler to check. Josef Prusas stepcalculator gave me 160 steps/mm and that resulted in the correct distance of movement with my 20 tooth pulleys. As I couldn´t  set the parameters from the graphic display I had to reflash the Marlin firmware.

I used a M8 threaded rod like suggested in the original plans. It is not meant for machine operations and so It loves to do what it is designed for. It binds pretty often, resetting the z axis position and making sudden, unexpected deep cuts as shown in the video below. It is the straightest rod I could find and it is well greased but it was necessary to lower the acceleration and speed. I only had this one piece of hardwood and I wanted this to suceed. I´m trying to get the speed back up again because the milling took ages (1h15min) because of the adaptive clearing and the many retractions of the tool head.

The 3D printed rigid couplers didn´t worked to well for me so I ordered a jaw coupler also from http://cnc-plus.de to make it more reliable.

In conclusion : I liked the results of the cuts and they were somehow thrilling. The accidentially super deep cuts showed that I can go much deeper than 3mm in one pass with hardwood. The method used here was also a test for the ultimate goal for cutting alumium sheet and composites.

 

Building a MPCNC part2

So I spent some hours on weekends to advance further into my CNC adventure and it came out pretty satisfying.

img_20160916_170838

Simple CNC stand

Before wiring everything together, I saw the need of a good platform, so I don´t have to wire it again once I found a suitable platform. It took around 6 hours to build this from standard „Baumarkt“ supplys.

img_20160922_1536352

I guided all six cables per axis down to the controller board. I wasn´t sure If I might change the controller board and thus the method of actuation later. I used 8 pole shielded datacable from Lapp Kabel. I added some endstops after I ordered the cables so I have to wire them seperetaly.

img_20160922_153656

Z Axis with Kress FME800 and a pink solid coupler

The M8 threaded rod wasn´t straight and wobbles badly so the Z Axis binds from time to time when running. I´m going to change that for a trapezoidal screw soon. The printed rigid coupler also starts to crack. I need a better part for this too.

Everything else works good so far. The Stepper drivers are getting a little hot but I got a small fan as a leftover from my Fabrikator mod that will be mounted on a 3d printed case or similar.

img_20160922_153710

Complete setup with vacuum and cablework done

Getting endmills and doing the first cut is the next target,