Designing and Building a Dual-head 3D Printer

I had the opportunity to try out at least 5 different printers. All of them had sifgnificant backdraws like missing heatbed, price and noise. They all did there job anyway and my Fabrikator is working pretty much „fire and forget“ all the time. Nevertheless I´m tempted to create my own printer just for the sake of adding it to my collection of valuable experiences.

I came up with T-Bot first iteration closely related to prusa´s I3 framewise. I didn´t liked the Z leadscrews standing out that much and too far away from the linear slides so the second version focused on making this a little more aerodynamic.

I am aiming for a precise as possible head and bed positioning mechanics with dual extrusion the bowden way. I have good experience with bowden so I see not much disadvantages at the moment.

The second version with the new z and x mechanics.

There are E3D V6 mounted on the gantry at the moment but it should be stable enough for light milling operations.

The frame is designed with 16mm MDF in mind but I probably change to a different material (not OSB). Thats why I have to redesign most of the frame parts as the new material is somewhat thinner.

I already have most of the electronic components in mind. The first prototype might be powered by components I have laying around but the finished version is meant to be state of the art 🙂

Watching Thomas Sanladerers Video really helped me out making decisions at some points in the design process so thank you for your effort in making great videos, if you ever read this.

 

mostly printed camera slider – part 2

I took another iteration to make it move like it should. As you can see, in comparison to the previous entry, the case and the mechanics have been modified. The belt system used is a bit more complicated than I initially thought and I couldn´t get it to perform „super smooth“ like its contestants.It is best suited for actioncams as you can see in the picture below. I tried a DSLM and it works somehow but it flexes under the load generating a somewhat unstraight path.

I think it´s okay anyway, taking the money spend into account versus performance. At least it was a good exercise. In the video below are some cam transitions made with it so get the idea of the achievable smoothnes. It´s more like basecap than edelkrone 😛

This project is currently in long term testing and refinement stage.

Mostly printed camera slider

Inspired and a bit fascinated by the glide arm style camera sliders I decided to build my own version of it.

The parts are all standard you got laying around either from a MPCNC build or if you like modifying or building 3D printers. Anythin else can be sourced from your local hardware store or other sources.

 It is not working yet as I´m wating on some hardware parts that are announced for arrival next week. After that it will be tested in various conditions and then maybe released into the wild 🙂

Parts list:

-soon-

MPCNC – New KRESS FME800q tool-holder with dust shoe assembly

First render of the new tool holder with dust shoe, connected at the bottom. The goal was to stiffen the spindle for aluminum milling and the transition to a more comfortable suction system as I don´t like standing next to it for an hour.

The clamp itself has already been printed and the vaccuum attachment is on its way. I will see how this turns out and if I need some kind of brush to bridge the gap to the workpiece or if the pure airflow is strong enough to keep the chips and dust under control. The spindle is closer to the gantry and sits firmly clamped by two M4 screws with washers and nylocks.

Sorry for the bad print quality, it is printed in PETG and I didn´t dialed in the parameters carefully as this is a plain mechanical part with no optical ambitions 😛

Those are my preparations for the nex aluminum milling test runs and the upcoming bigger project that might cause lots of dust.

Building a MPCNC

I started building a MPCNC router after I stumbled upon vicious1s design on thingiverse. I really liked the design and couldn´t resist to start ordering the electrical parts and the required conduit.

MPCNC Rollers

MPCNC Rollers and first stepper mount

I took pretty long to get all the parts printed correctly, as my printer was modded right before the prints and it wasn´t to clear how it will perform. The MPCNC prints served well as a long time test of the modifications

Almost complete

Almost complete

I quickly assembled the parts I had so far to see what it gonna look like

1471636054102

First test fitting

All fitted very well, the conduit is stainless steel whitch came pre cutted. I needed to source some screws I had to use M4 for the most parts as M3,5 as suggest by Ryan was harder to find. After I got them it didn´t took long to get the majority of the CNC parts together.

1471701993534

Assembled stage 1,5

Great moment for me, as I coulnd´t stop thinking about anything else than finishing this nice little machine up. I made it 70 x 70 cm resulting in a build volume of around 40 x 40cm x 10 cm.

Next steps cover the electronics, base plate and the spindle. I will go for a Kress FME 800.