Inspired by one of my readers I had a look at the dust shoe for the Kress again. I redesigned it completely and got rid of the additional tubes and clamps. I thought that it would be a good idea to have a highly flexible part between vaccum and CNC. If I had ordered the 20mm silicon tubes it may have worked as well but reducing parts is allways priority.
So in the end we got a pretty classic dust shoe here. It doesn´t have a brush at the bottom as it seems to work pretty good at the moment and I really like to see the endmill. However I included three holes at the bottom for a later brush design.
It works pretty good with lighter materials but GFK, aluminum or similar are not fully sucked up.
It has been printed in 0,3mm draft quality for testing purposes.
Inspired and a bit fascinated by the glide arm style camera sliders I decided to build my own version of it.
The parts are all standard you got laying around either from a MPCNC build or if you like modifying or building 3D printers. Anythin else can be sourced from your local hardware store or other sources.
It is not working yet as I´m wating on some hardware parts that are announced for arrival next week. After that it will be tested in various conditions and then maybe released into the wild 🙂
Some time ago I discovered „The Mitt“ by Ivan Franko. I liked the idea of a flexible software synthesizer combined with a precise hardware controlled parameter modulation.
The idea is to create different concepts of modulation or forms of synthesis in general. The prynth framework itself is based on the legendary „supercollider“ and is served via a webapp running on a rapsberry pi. That way it is very easy to modify with a few clicks.
I had quiete some different synths and other hardware instruments and always came to a point where I really wanted to modify a tiny bit. I know, being limited at some point can help to develop new styles and they teach you how to efficiently use your ressources but this time we have full control over the bits and sounds. FINALLY
I took part in a competition by Ivan in which he gave away a set of prynth pcbs that are used to feed the hardware signals into the raspi. Looks like I´ve won, together with 2 other participiants and for the first time I received a letter from canada!
The main pcb has a teensy on it reading the voltage on the voltage dividers made up by the potentiometers. Up to ten variable resistors are supported by the muxi control mainboard. For bigger projects featuring more control inputs the smaller mux pcbs add a maximum of 80 (!) inputs.
Currently the „hack and make Jena“ group is working on creating a mostly practical synth with some additional features to modulate it fluent and intuitive.
A definetely important tool that I´ve delayed way too long. Micha remembered me of the importance of these devices and as he needed one as well I had even more motivation to finally build one.
It is a simple design with a 24V 180 m³/h fan sucking the air through a 130 x 130 x 10 mm activated charcoal mat. The protoytpe on the pictures was designed with two fans in mind but the single arrangement was sufficient enough. The single fan design also reduced the printing time of course, so I went with that as standard.
I added some legs that increased the range of the system so you don´t have to be too close to the „defumer“. The working range is usually around 40 cm. The closer the better.
I did finish the first „century“ lamp just in time for christmas. The base is very close to the CAD design, thanks to the excellent work of a friend and his lathe. The apple wood turned quite dark, alltough I used a clear finish. The lampshade printed from natural PLA gave it an almost glass like appearance. I´m currently refitting the MPCNC with an extruder so I may be able to print the more complex lampshades soon as my Hobbyking Fabrikator is just a bit too small for the task. I´m pretty happy with the result so far. Now I have to dive deeper into aluminum milling to get it a little more stiff.
It has been a while since the last post and the reason for that is the design and manufacturing of a desk lamp. The initial design differs from the final product as the whole process has been simplified a little. I gathered materials for three of them so the first one will serve as a production test to find out if everything fits. Once finished I am going to include the finer details.
The pedestal is a 3D cnc piece made from walnut here. It has been changed to a more simple round apple wood base with a 10mm phase cut with a bandsaw. Since the apple wood has a real nice grain I like it even more by now. I made three of them and one is probably going to be machined on a lathe by a friend to get closer to the intended design.
The switch case mounted in front is going to be replaced by an inline switch, this also eases up the amount of needed prints. The joint for the arms above has been redesigned and is now clamping instead of a bolt through design with three possible positions. I have not tested yet if the clamp produces enough force to hold the arms and the lampshade with all the components. I hope this works out well.
The arms should be made out of aluminium and I found some nice bars I can make them of. The first step will be to mill them out of some old wood planks I got. That is a good test to see if the dimensions of the parts work together well from a design perspective. The final arms are then milled as intended when the design is validated.
The lampshade is 3D printed and adapted to a regular E14 lamp socket. The threads came out usable on first try and I will keep those first parts.
The project was started in july and was delayed because I had to build the MPCNC first but I´m almost finished by now. Pedestal and arms need to be cnced and some of the knobs are left to be printed.